What we put on our bodies can have a significant impact on our overall health and well-being. The skin is the largest organ of our body and can absorb substances that come into contact with it. Therefore, it's important to be mindful of the products we use, such as skincare and personal care items, clothing, household cleaners and even touching things like receipts.
Here are a few reasons why what we put on our bodies is important:
- Skin health: The skin acts as a protective barrier, and what we apply to it can either nourish or harm it. Choosing skincare products with beneficial ingredients can help maintain healthy skin, while avoiding harsh chemicals or irritants can prevent skin issues like dryness, rashes, or allergies.
- Absorption of chemicals: The skin can absorb certain substances, including chemicals present in cosmetics, lotions, and other personal care products. If these products contain harmful ingredients like parabens, phthalates, or synthetic fragrances, they can potentially enter our bloodstream and affect our overall health.
- Allergies and sensitivities: Many individuals have allergies or sensitivities to certain ingredients commonly found in personal care products. By being aware of the ingredients and choosing products that are free from known allergens, it's possible to reduce the risk of adverse reactions.
- Environmental impact: The products we use can have an environmental impact. For example, the use of certain chemicals can contribute to water pollution when they are washed off and enter the ecosystem. Opting for eco-friendly and sustainably sourced products can help reduce our environmental footprint.
- Clothing choices: The fabrics we wear can also play a role in our well-being. Natural fibers like organic cotton or bamboo can be more breathable and less likely to cause skin irritation compared to synthetic materials. Additionally, considering the production process and avoiding clothing made under unethical or exploitative conditions can align with our values.
By being conscious of what we put on our bodies, we can make informed choices that promote our health, minimize potential risks, and contribute to a healthier environment.
I help mums to feel like they're better mums by informing them about issues like these and many others that will contribute to the increased health of their family. Being a mum in today's modern world requires us to have a wide range of knowledge on the products that we are using on our bodies and the food in which we put into our bodies. Being a modern mum requires us to be savvy and discerning in our shopping and what we buy for our family.
If you want to reduce the toxic load on yourself and your kids check out my Cheat Sheet to Ditching the Toxic Load here.
If you want to simplify dinners and make your evening easier and more enjoyable then make sure you grab your copy of my Guide to Feeding Your Family here.